The Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art (PMC) is committed to providing access to its published materials and activities in as unimpeded a manner as it can allow for as broad a public as it can reach. In its roles as both an educational charity and a research institute, the PMC aims to promote the awareness, study, and enjoyment of British art. Art & the Country House text is published under a CC BY-NC licence unless otherwise specified, but the images have a variety of copyright restrictions.
We encourage users to identify the use of materials made available through this website and to provide an appropriate credit to the author and the publication, so that others may find and use our resources.
The PMC fully supports the protection of intellectual property and is committed to complying with, and strictly adhering to, all applicable copyright law. In some cases, exceptions to copyright that permit limited use of protected works without the permission of the copyright owner may have been applied. We are confident that we have carried out due diligence in our use of copyrighted material as required, but we apologise for any inadvertent infringement of rights.
On this site, digital copies of resources are made accessible for research for one of the following reasons:
- they are in the public domain;
- the rights are owned by the Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art;
- we make them accessible under an exception or limitation to UK copyright law, as outlined in the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (as amended);
- we have permission to make them accessible;
- or, there are no known restrictions on use.
Take Down Policy and Procedures
If you believe that we have made a mistake with material that belongs to you and wish for your material to be removed from our site, please contact us at email@example.com.
Please include the following information with your request:
- Name and contact information, including email address and phone number.
- Identification of the resource for consideration of removal. Providing URLs in your communication will help us locate content quickly.
- The reason for the request.
The PMC will respond promptly, normally within 21 business days. We may remove the resource from our site while we assess the validity of the request. Upon completion of the assessment, we will take appropriate action and communicate that action to you.
Third Party Copyright
In many cases, copyright or other proprietary rights may be held by individuals or entities other than, or in addition to, the PMC. If a work or a photographic image is still protected by copyright, you must cite the relevant copyright information when using the image and comply with all other terms or restrictions that may be applicable to that material.