caption

after Peter Paul Rubens, The Conversion of St Paul

Photo courtesy of Dave Penman (All rights reserved)

Details

Country House
Trewithen
Title(s)
The Conversion of St Paul
Medium and support
Oil on canvas
Dimensions
Overall height: 58 cm, Overall width: 72 cm
Artist
after Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640)
Catalogue Number
TN70

Description

The painting is a copy in reverse of the Conversion of St Paul by Sir Peter Paul Rubens made in the 1620s for Wladyslaw Vasa of Poland (fig. 1). In 1669 it entered the collection of John II Casimir in Paris and remained in France until 1819, when it was purchased by G. Harris of London. It was acquired by the Gemäldegalerie, Berlin in 1903. During the Second World War the painting was removed to an anti-aircraft tower for safety, and was lost, presumably destroyed, in 1945.

The Conversion of St Paul

Figure 1.
Sir Peter Paul Rubens, The Conversion of St Paul, 1620s. Oil on canvas, 261 × 371 cm. Lost (formerly Gemäldegalerie, Berlin).


Digital image courtesy of www.Lostart.de. (Public domain)

The present copy was possibly made after the engraving by Schelte Adams Bolsewert (1586–1659; fig. 2), which in certain versions is also reversed.

The Conversion of St Paul

Figure 2.
Schelte Adams Bolswert after Sir Peter Paul Rubens, The Conversion of St Paul, circa 1630–45. Engraving, 44.9 × 60.3 cm. Rubens House, Amsterdam (RH.P.1026).


Digital image courtesy of Rubens House, Amsterdam. (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)

by Martin Postle

Related catalogue items from Trewithen

  • Castle Howard Trewithen

    Figure on a Country Lane

    Hendrik Pieter Koekkoek

  • Castle Howard Trewithen

    Unknown Woman, traditionally identified as Susanna Sibthorp

    Henry Edridge

  • Castle Howard Trewithen

    The Market Girl

    attributed to Henry Robert Morland, ? c.1770s