Dr M. G. Sullivan FSA is a historian of British and Irish sculpture in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. He is currently Honorary Research Fellow at the University of York, and Research Associate on the AHRC project ‘Pantheons: Sculpture at St Paul’s Cathedral, c.1795–1918,’ to catalogue and to analyse the monuments in the Cathedral within the broader social history of the period. He co-wrote the Biographical Dictionary of Sculptors in Britain 1660–1851, Yale University Press 2009, and edited its subsequent electronic editions, and wrote numerous entries on sculptors in Ireland for Art and Architecture of Ireland, vol 3, Sculptors and Sculpture, edited by Paula Murphy, Yale 2015. He has previously worked as a curator at the Ashmolean Museum and Tate Britain, and held research posts at Lincoln College, University of Oxford, and in the Research Department of the Victoria and Albert Museum. In 2012 he had a Research Grant from the PMC to study the works of John Van Nost in Ireland, and in 2017–18 he held a Mid-Career Fellowship to work on Francis Chantrey. His books are Sir Francis Chantrey and the Ashmolean Museum, 2014, and Fighting History, 2015, and he has written numerous articles on British sculpture, sculptors, historiography and materials. The current emphasis of his own research is the relationship between sculpture and the practice of geology in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.